THE UNIBANK GREENWAY CHALLENGE
Celebrating 22 years!
AN ADVENTURE RACE... LIKE NO OTHER!
The mission of the UniBank Greenway Challenge is to promote the recreational quality of life in the Blackstone River Valley. A program of the Whitin Community Center, presented by UniBank and supported by other partner organizations, the Greenway Challenge supports the development of new programs, purchase of additional equipment, and facility renovations for the members and guests of the Whitin Community Center (WCC).
The WCC is a 501(c)(3) organization committed to enhancing the health and well-being of individuals and families and to building a strong community in the Blackstone Valley.
Each year, the Greenway Challenge athletes run, paddle and bike on a course designed to bring you through one of the most beautiful and historic regions of New England, the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor located between Worcester, MA and Pawtucket, RI.
This annual race is one of New England's premier adventure races.
We are introducing a new course for 2023!
Registration Opens Saturday, July 1, 2023
Saturday, July 1st - Online registration opens
Monday, August 7th- Course maps are published and available online.
Wednesday, September 6th - Last day for guaranteed t-shirt; first come, first serve after this date based on availability.
Thursday, September 7th - Registration, fees, photography releases and waiver forms for all members of a team must be received; late fees will apply after this date and team members are not guaranteed shirts.
Registration Closes Friday, September 22, 2023
Mandatory Captains' Meeting (team captain or representative) - please send at least one representative from your team.
Wednesday, September 13, 2023 @ 7:00pm at Whitin Community Center, 60 Main St in Whitinsville, MA 01588
Packet/Bib Pick-up and Pre-Race Gathering*
Friday, September 29th 5:00pm-7:00pm at Whitin Community Center, 60 Main St in Whitinsville, MA 01588
* Bibs are NOT available for pick-up on Race Day. They MUST be picked up on Friday night.
Saturday, September 30, 2023
All Transition Sites "open" starting at 7am for gear drop off
Start at 8:30am
Individual (solo) Participant
A single individual completes each and every course segment on their own, with the help of a support person to transport and stage gear between transition sites. This category is not to be taken lightly.
Top Overall Male and Female will be awarded for their accomplishments.
2-4 Person Team
Teams are comprised of 2 to 4 individuals, with each team member competing in at least one segment along the course. Split up the biking, running, and paddling with team member specialties!
Top Overall Male, Female, and Co-ed teams will be awarded for their accomplishments.
5+ Person Team
Paying homage to the roots of this great adventure race, these teams will have between 5 and 8 team members, where each team member must participate in at least one course segment. Perfect for corporate teams or groups of individuals looking to go all out on just 1-2 segments.
Top Overall Male, Female, Co-ed, and Corporate teams will be awarded for their accomplishments.
While we want you to be competitive and complete the Challenge, we must put the safety of all our athletes first. The race requirements are not flexible. Each transition site team is instructed to notify the Race Official if anything that is questionable. Thank you for your understanding.
- Teams must provide necessary maintenance equipment, food, water, supplies, and transportation for team members during the Challenge from the Start to the Finish Line.
- Participants must be age 14 or older. Ages 14 - 18 must have parental permission/signature on Liability Waiver and Photo Release Forms. Team Captain must be 18+ and attend mandatory captain's meeting.
- Canoe, Kayak, Stand-up Paddleboard, or whatever your paddling craft is, the Greenway Challenge requirements are that you wear personal flotation devices (PFDs). Not wearing an approved PFD means disqualification of the person and their team.
- Cyclists are required to wear approved helmets (ANSI or ASTM). Not wearing an approved helmet disqualifies the person and their team.
- Runners are required to wear shoes. Not wearing shoes will disqualify person and team.
- No EBikes permitted.
- Please refer to the Course tab for the Cut-Off Times for this years race.
Race Sportsmanship & Disqualifications
Be polite to ALL volunteers and staff. You must follow their directions and requests. They are only out there for one reason – to make it possible for you to race. We cannot hold the Greenway Challenge without volunteers. If you have a problem with a volunteer or staff member or feel their actions have harmed your race, please simply tell the Race Director. Any mistreatment of volunteers can result in disqualification and possible suspension from future Greenway Challenges.